Buying your first UK property? Un-complicate your tax reporting!

Buying your first UK property? Un-complicate your tax reporting!

If you have just bought your first property in the UK there are certain actions and dates that you should not forget.

Remember them and your UK tax reporting should be (relatively) painless but forget to or complete them late and you could be in for a nasty and unnecessary surprise.

Register for the Non Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS)

If you normally live outside of the UK, note you do not necessarily need to be not resident, then the NRLS will apply to you. The NRLS dictates that your letting agent (or if you do not have one your tenant) must deduct income tax at the basic rate and pay this over to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) on a quarterly basis.
The agent will almost certainly deduct too much tax and the excess will only be paid to you when a tax return is submitted.

You should, therefore, make a submission to HMRC to have the rent paid without withholding tax (note that this is not an exemption from tax). The approval is likely to be issued within a few weeks and can then be used for any other property purchases or if you move letting agents. You do not need to re-apply if you move agents or buy another property.

If your property is owned by more than one person you must submit an application for each of you. The NRLS applies to individuals, companies and trusts.

Will build-to-rent experience a tax cut?

Register for Self Assessment

If HMRC do not issue you with a ten digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) automatically, you should ensure that you notify them of the new source of income by 5 October following the end of the tax year that the source of income starts. The UK tax year ends on 5 April so if you started renting a property in August 2016 you must notify HMRC by 5 October 2017.

This is important because if you neglect to notify HMRC of the source of income and any tax liability is paid late, penalties can be charged by HMRC.

Submit your tax return

As most people know you must submit a tax return by 31 January following the end of the tax year. So, for the year ended 5 April 2016 we have until 31 January 2017 to make the submission. However, this is only for online submissions. Paper submissions must be made by 31 October. To complicate the matter if you live abroad you are not able to use the HMRC website to submit tax returns as it will assume you are UK resident and your assessment will be incorrect.

Property owners living abroad must submit paper tax returns by post by 31 October, by purchasing software from a third party or by using an authorised agent such as MJH Tax Consultants who can submit tax returns online using bespoke software. Where a property is owned by more than one person each of them should submit tax returns.

Tax returns that are submitted later than the above will accrue punitive penalties.

When buy-to-let turns on you, give build-to-rent a chance

Pay your income tax

If you have a tax liability you must pay this by 31 January following the end of the tax year. If your liability is more than £1,000 you usually have to make payments on account for the following year’s liability. These are 50% of the previous year’s figure and are payable on 31 January during the tax year in question and 31 July following the end of the tax year.

Any excess tax paid will be refunded when you submit your tax return for that year while any additional tax will be due on 31 January following the end of the year.

It sounds confusing but it all becomes clear over time!

Selling a property

We will cover this topic in more depth this in a future article but do not forget that if you sell a UK residential property it must be reported within 30 days of conveyance and again on your personal tax return when that is submitted. If you miss the 30 day deadline the usual self assessment late reporting penalties will apply.

This article is part of our “Expert Advice” series and features advice from Martin Holden, Managing Director at MJH Tax. For more help get in contact with Martin here.

Self-certified Sophisticated Investor

Please read

I declare that I am a self-certified sophisticated investor for the purposes of the restriction on promotion of non-mainstream pooled investments. I understand that this means:

I am a self-certified sophisticated investor because at least one of the following applies:

I accept that the investments to which the promotions will relate may expose me to a significant risk of losing all of the money or other property invested. I am aware that it is open to me seek advice from someone who specialises in advising on non-mainstream pooled investments.

High Net Worth Investor

Please read

I make this statement so that I can receive promotional communications which are exempt from the restriction on promotion of non-mainstream pooled investments. The exemption relates to certified high net worth investors and I declare that I qualify as such because at least one of the following applies to me:


Sign up for first access to new developments and exclusive property investment opportunities.

We send limited and targeted emails on new launches and exclusive deals which best fit your areas. We are trusted by over 30,000 active buyers as their source for new stock.

  • New property developments
  • Professional market reports
  • Property deal alerts
  • Development updates
Manchester property investment


Receive trending news straight to your inbox and stay up to date on all of the property market trends and advice.

Established since 2005 we are a leading voice of authority and commentary on the UK property market. Our news is trusted by Apple News & Google News.

  • UK housing market
  • Mortgage & money
  • Buy-to-let landlords
  • Guides & advice

Talk to us

Speak to our UK property experts today:


+44 (0) 333 123 0320

Open from 9am-6pm GMT


+852 6699 9008

Open from 9am-6pm HKT