landlord insurance

Landlord insurance for UK buy-to-let: the ultimate guide

While landlord insurance is not a legal requirement if you own a buy-to-let property in the UK, many mortgage lenders require you to have it, and it can save you money in the long run. By Jack Goring-Bielby, finance content writer at Mortgage Advice Bureau.

As a landlord, insurance provides essential coverage that goes beyond standard home insurance, addressing specific risks associated with rental properties. This comprehensive guide will help you understand the types of insurance you may need, its importance, and how to choose the most suitable policy for your needs.

Landlord insurance is a specialised policy designed to protect property owners renting out their homes, flats, or other residential units. It covers risks related to letting, including property damage, loss of rental income, and liabilities arising from tenant injuries.

This type of insurance is crucial, as standard home insurance policies typically do not cover rental activities. Thus, landlord insurance fills this gap by offering protection tailored to the unique risks landlords face.

Why do you need landlord insurance?

One of the primary reasons for having landlord insurance is property protection. The policy covers damage to the building caused by natural disasters, fires, floods, and vandalism. Without it, landlords could face substantial repair costs that could severely impact their finances.

Additionally, landlord insurance provides coverage for loss of rent. If the property becomes uninhabitable due to insured damages, the insurance can cover the loss of rental income, ensuring landlords can meet mortgage payments and other associated expenses. This aspect is vital for maintaining financial stability during periods when the property cannot be rented out.

Liability coverage is another critical component of landlord insurance. If a tenant or visitor is injured on the property, the insurance can cover legal fees and compensation claims, protecting landlords from potentially devastating financial liabilities. Some policies also offer cover for rent arrears if tenants default on payments, providing an additional layer of financial security.

Key features

Key features of landlord insurance include buildings insurance, which covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding the property after damage from a fire, storm, flood, or vandalism. Contents insurance protects furnishings, appliances, and other items provided in a furnished or semi-furnished property. However, tenants should have their own contents insurance for personal belongings.

Other types of insurance that landlords can invest in include:

  • Liability insurance – offers protection if a tenant or visitor suffers an injury on the property and claims compensation
  • Loss of rent insurance – compensates for lost rental income if the property is uninhabitable due to insured damages
  • Accidental damage cover – protects against unintentional damage caused by tenants, such as broken windows or stains on carpets
  • Legal expenses insurance – covers the cost of legal action needed to evict tenants, recover unpaid rent, or address property disputes
  • Emergency assistance – provides 24/7 coverage for emergency repairs, such as plumbing or electrical issues, ensuring minimal disruption for tenants.

How to choose the right landlord insurance policy

Choosing the right insurance involves assessing your needs by evaluating the type of property, its location, and your rental arrangements. A furnished flat may need more comprehensive contents insurance, while an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) might require enhanced liability coverage.

You should ensure the policy covers the full rebuild cost of the property and provides adequate coverage for contents and liability. Understanding policy exclusions and conditions is crucial, as common exclusions might include wear and tear, unoccupied property for extended periods, or damage caused by illegal activities.

If standard policies don’t meet all your needs, consider add-ons like rent guarantee insurance, home emergency cover, or malicious damage by tenants. Reviewing your policy annually is also important, as insurance needs can change. Adjust coverage as necessary, especially after significant changes like renovations or changes in tenancy.

What to avoid when it comes to landlord insurance

Common pitfalls to avoid include underinsurance, which involves insuring the property for less than its rebuild cost. This will leave you out of pocket in the event of major damage. Ignoring exclusions can lead to unexpected gaps in coverage when you need it most.

Assuming tenants are covered is a mistake, as landlord insurance doesn’t cover tenants’ personal belongings or their liability. Encourage tenants to get their own contents insurance. Not disclosing information about the property, tenants, or your letting arrangements can invalidate your policy.

In conclusion, landlord insurance is a crucial safeguard for any property owner in the rental market. By understanding the types of coverage available, assessing your specific needs, and carefully selecting a policy, you can ensure your investment is well-protected against a range of risks.

Regularly reviewing and updating your policy will provide ongoing peace of mind, allowing you to focus on managing your property and maximising rental income.

Self-certified Sophisticated Investor

Please read

I declare that I am a self-certified sophisticated investor for the purposes of the restriction on promotion of non-mainstream pooled investments. I understand that this means:

I am a self-certified sophisticated investor because at least one of the following applies:

I accept that the investments to which the promotions will relate may expose me to a significant risk of losing all of the money or other property invested. I am aware that it is open to me seek advice from someone who specialises in advising on non-mainstream pooled investments.

High Net Worth Investor

Please read

I make this statement so that I can receive promotional communications which are exempt from the restriction on promotion of non-mainstream pooled investments. The exemption relates to certified high net worth investors and I declare that I qualify as such because at least one of the following applies to me:


Sign up for first access to new developments and exclusive property investment opportunities.

We send limited and targeted emails on new launches and exclusive deals which best fit your areas. We are trusted by over 30,000 active buyers as their source for new stock.

  • New property developments
  • Professional market reports
  • Property deal alerts
  • Development updates
Manchester property investment


Receive trending news straight to your inbox and stay up to date on all of the property market trends and advice.

Established since 2005 we are a leading voice of authority and commentary on the UK property market. Our news is trusted by Apple News & Google News.

  • UK housing market
  • Mortgage & money
  • Buy-to-let landlords
  • Guides & advice

Talk to us

Speak to our UK property experts today:


+44 (0) 333 123 0320

Open from 9am-6pm GMT


+852 6699 9008

Open from 9am-6pm HKT